ISRO Chairman List:- Sreedhara Panicker Somanath (S. Somanath) is current chairman of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) since 15 January 2022. ISRO chairman list includes 10 chairman from 1963 to 2023. The India National Committee for Space Research (INCOSPAR) was founded in 1962 under Department of Atomic Energy with Dr. Vikram Sarabhai as its inaugural chairperson. India National Committee for Space Research become India Space Research Organization (ISRO) in 1969. The government of India had set up a space commission and Department of Space (DoS) in 1972 and brought ISRO under the Department of Space.
The Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization is the statutory head of the India Space Research Organization (ISRO). The officeholder is a secretary to the Government of India and an executive of the Department of Space which directly reports to the Prime Minister of India. ISRO chairman list with their achievement and term of office is given below.
ISRO Chairman List from 1963 to 2023
Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai was the first chairman of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) from 1963 to 1972. He was the first to initiate space research and also helped in developing nuclear power in India. He is regarded as father of Indian space program. Satish Dhawan is longest serving chairman of Indian Space Research Organization for a term of 12 years. S. Somanath is incumbent 10th chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization. Check below ISRO chairman list from 1963 to 2023 in chronological order.
|S.No||ISRO Chairman||Tenure||Length of Term|
|1||Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai||1963 to 1972||9 years|
|2||Prof. M. G. K. Menon||Jan. 1972 to Sept. 1972||9 months|
|3||Prof. Satish Dhawan||1972 to 1984||12 years|
|4||Prof. Udupi Ramachandra Rao||1984 to 1994||10 years|
|5||Dr. K. Kasturirangan||1994 to 2003||9 years|
|6||Shri G. Madhavan Nair||2003 to 2009||6 years|
|7||Dr. K. Radhakrishnan||2009 to 2014||5 years|
|8||Shailesh Nayak||1 Jan. 2015 to 12 Jan. 2015||12 days|
|9||Shri A. S. Kiran Kumar||2015 to 2018||3 years|
|10||Dr. K. Sivan||Jan 2018 to Jan 2022||3 years|
|11||Shri S. Somanath||12 Jan 2022 to till date||Incumbent|
ISRO Chairman List in Chronological Order
- Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai : He is the father of Indian Space Program. He is chairman of Atomic Energy Commission. He started a project for fabrication and launch of first Indian Satellite "Aryabhata".
- Prof. M. G. K. Menon : He was an Advisor in the Department of Space an Indian Space Research
Organization. He was the President of Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta. He has done Scientific work in Cosmic Rays and Particle.
- Prof. Satish Dhawan : He was an Indian Rocket Scientist. He is father of experimental fluid dynamics
research in the field of turbulence and boundary layer, in India. First supersonic wind tunnel in India at
Indian Institute of Science Bangalore. He carried out experiments in rural education, remote sensing and satellite communications.
- Prof. Udupi Ramachandra Rao : He was an internationally renowned Space Scientist. He contribute to the development of space technology in India and its extensive application to communication and remote sensing of natural resources . He works in development of rocket technology (ASLV Rocket). He has published over 350 Scientific and Technical papers covering cosmic rays, interplanetary physics, high energy astronomy, space applications and satellite and rocket technology. He was awarded Padma Bhushan Award in 1976 and Padma Vibhushan in 2017. He was the first Indian Scientist to be inducted into highly Prestigious Satellite Hall of Fame at Washington DC, USA in 2013 and IAF Hall of Fame at Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Dr. K. Kasturirangan : He is presently member of Planning Commission. He was director of ISRO Satellite Centre. He helped in development of new generation spacecraft, Indian National Satellite (INSAT-2) and Indian Remote Sensing Satellites (IRS-1A & 1B) as well as scientific satellites development and launching of the world's best civilian satellites, IRS-1C and 1D, realization of the second generation and initiation of
third generation INSAT satellites, besides launching ocean observation satellites IRS-P3/P4. He has been conferred Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan. He has published more than 200 papers,
both in international and national journals in the areas of astronomy, space science, space applications and has edited 6 books.
- Shri G. Madhavan Nair : He joined Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS) in 1967 an during his tenure of six years as Chairman, ISRO/Secretary, DOS, 25 successful missions were accomplished i.e. INSAT-3E, RESOURCESAT-1, EDUSAT, CARTOSAT-1, HAMSAT-1, INSAT-4A, PSLV-C5, GSLV-F1, PSLV-C6, CARTOSAT-2, INSAT-4B, SRE-1, PSLV-C7, PSLV-C8, GSLV-F04, INSAT-4CR, PSLV- C10, CARTOSAT-2A, IMS-1, PSLV-C9, CHANDRAYAAN-1, PSLV- C11, PSLV-12, PSLV-C14 OCEANSAT-2. He has led the Indian delegation to the S&T Sub-Committee of United Nations Committee on Peaceful uses of Outer Space (UN-COPUOS) since 1998.
- Dr. K. Radhakrishnan : He is a Technocrat par excellence, a dynamic and result-oriented Chairman of Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (2001-05), Founder Chairman of Indian Ocean Global Ocean Observing System (2001-06) and Chairman of the Working Group of the Whole UN-COPUOS STSC (2008-2009).
- Shailesh Nayak : He has served ISRO and MoES in several capacities namely: 2014 - Chairman, Indian
Space Research Organization (ISRO) Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) and Chairman, Earth Commission, India in 2008 Director, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, INCOIS, Hyderabad in 2006.
- Shri A. S. Kiran Kumar : He was distinguished Scientist and Director, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, assumed the office of the Secretary, Department of Space, Chairman, Space Commission and Chairman, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on January 14, 2015. He worked for steering the design, development & realization of payloads and application activities of earth observation, communication, navigation, space science and planetary exploration. He has represented ISRO in international forums like World Meteorological Organization (WMO), Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) and Indo-US Joint Working Group on Civil Space Cooperation.
- Dr. K. Sivan : He served as the Secretary, Department of Space, Chairman, Space Commission and Chairman, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) from January 2018 to January 2022. He has significantly contributed towards end-to- end mission planning, design, integration and analysis and innovative contributions in mission design enabled the consistent performance of PSLV, GSLV MkII & MkIII including RLVTD. He is the chief architect of 6D trajectory simulation software, SITARA. He has received many awards including Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) from selected universities. He was the chief mission architect for successful launch of 104 satellites in a single mission of PSLV.
- Shri S. Somanath : He is Aerospace Engineer and Current Chairmen of Indian Space Research Organization ISRO. He was the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram and Director of Liquid propulsion System Centre. He has worked in the field of Launch Vehicle Design, Launch Vehicle system engineering, structural design, structural dynamics and pyrotechnics.
For more details of ISRO Chairman List Visit Department of Space, India Research Organization official website