Supreme Court Judge List 2022 :- The Supreme Court of India is the highest court of country. The maximum possible strength of judges in Supreme Court is 34. Currently Supreme Court has total 30 Judges including Chief Justice of India. On 31 August 2021, nine Judges including three women, took oath at once in the Presidency of Ram Nath Kovind. Justice N.V Ramana took oath as 48th Chief Justice of India on 24 April 2021 at that time the number of Supreme Court judges were 32 which is highest since the India's Independence. Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit was sworn in as the 49 Chief Justice of Supreme Court of India.
Under Article 124 of Indian Constitution, Chief Justice and Judges of Supreme Court are appointed by the President of India. H. J. Kania was appointed as first Chief Justice of India in presidency of Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Kamal Narain Singh was the shortest-serving Chief Justice Of India only for 17 days from 21st November 1991 to 12th December 1991. Check complete Supreme Court Judges List in table below.
Supreme Court Judge List 2022
Supreme Court Judge List include Chief Justice of India Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit and 29 other Judges. Out of 30 Judges 26 are male and 4 are female. All Supreme Court Judge List with their term of office, date of appointment and date of retirement is given below in table. Recently Mr. Justice A.M. Khanwilkar has retired on 29-07-2022 from Supreme Court Judge post and 48th Chief Justice N.V Ramana has retired from his office on 26 August 2022 as he completed his tenure. Supreme Court Judge List 2022 is given below
|S.No||Name Of Supreme Court Judge||Term of Office|
|1||Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit |
(Chief Justice of India)
|13-08-2014 to 08-11-2022|
|2||Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud||13-05-2016 to 10-11-2024|
|3||Mr. Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul||17-02-2017 to 25-12-2023|
|4||Mr. Justice S. Abdul Nazeer||17-02-2017 to 04-01-2023|
|5||Ms. Justice Indira Banerjee||17-08-2018 to 23-09-2022|
|6||Mr. Justice K.M. Joseph||07-08-2018 to 16-06-2023|
|7||Mr. Justice Hemant Gupta||02-11-2018 to 16-10-2022|
|8||Mr. Justice Mukeshkumar Rasikbhai Shah||02-11-2018 to 15-05-2023|
|9||Mr. Justice Ajay Rastogi||02-11-2018 to 17-06-2023|
|10||Mr. Justice Dinesh Maheshwari||18-01-2019 to 14-05-2023|
|11||Mr. Justice Sanjiv Khanna||18-01-2019 to 13-05-2025|
|12||Mr. Justice Bhushan Ramkrishna Gavai||24-05-2019 to 23-11-2025|
|13||Mr. Justice Surya Kant||24-05-2019 to 09-02-2027|
|14||Justice Aniruddha Bose||24-05-2019 to 10-04-2024|
|15||Mr. Justice Ajjikuttira Somaiah Bopanna||24-05-2019 to 19-05-2024|
|16||Mr. Justice Krishna Murari||23-09-2019 to 08-07-2023|
|17||Mr. Justice S. Ravindra Bhat||23-09-2019 to 20-10-2023|
|18||Mr.Justice V. Ramasubramanian||23-09-2019 to 29-06-2023|
|19||Mr. justice Hrishikesh Roy||23-09-2019 to 31-01-2025|
|20||Mr. Justice Abhay.S. Oka||31-08-2021 to 24-05-2025|
|21||Mr. Justice Vikram Nath||31-08-2021 to 23-09-2027|
|22||Mr. Justice J.K. Maheshwari||31-08-2021 to 28-06-2026|
|23||Ms. Justice Hima kohli||31-08-2021 to 01-09-2024|
|24||Ms. Justice B.V Nagarthana||31-08-2021 to 29-10-2027|
|25||Mr. Justice C.T Ravi kumaR||31-08-2021 to 05-01-2025|
|26||Mr. Justice M.M. Sundresh||31-08-2021 to 20-07-2027|
|27||Ms. Justice Bela M. Trivedi||31-08-2021 to 09-06-2025|
|28||Mr. Justice Pamidighantam Sri Narasimha||31-08-2021 to 02-05-2028|
|29||Mr. Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia||09-05-2022 to 09-08-2025|
|30||MR. JUSTICE J.B. PARDIWALA||09-05-2022 to 11-08-2030|
For more details and profile of each Supreme Court Judge of India click here Supreme Court Judge List
48th Chief Justice of India
Justice N.V Ramana took oath as the 48th Chief Justice of India on 24 April 2021. Previously, he was the Judge of Supreme Court of India from 17 February 2014 to 23 April 2021 , Chief Justice of Delhi High Court 2 September 2013 to16 February 2014 and acting Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court from 10 March 2013 to 20 May 2013, Judge of Andhra Pradesh High Court from 27 June 2000 to 1 September 2013.
He has specialization in Constitutional, Criminal, Service and Inter-State River laws. He has functioned as Panel Counsel for various Government Organizations and additional Standing Counsel for Central Government and Standing Counsel for Railways in the Central Administrative Tribunal at Hyderabad. He has also functioned as Additional Advocate General of Andhra Pradesh. He retired from his office on 26 August 2022. For more details check Supreme Court Judge List 2022
49th Chief Justice of India
Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit took oath as the 49th Chief Justice of Supreme Court of India on 27 August 2022. The oath of office was administered by the president of India, Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
He get enrolled as an Advocate in 1983, and practiced in the High Court of Bombay till 1985. He has work as Special public Prosecutor for CBI in 2G matters. He was appointed Judge of Supreme Court of India on 13, 2014. Now he is the 49 Chief Justice of Supreme Court, he will retire on 8 November 2022.
Article 124 of Supreme Court Judge
- There shall be a Supreme Court of India constituting of a Chief Justice of India and other Supreme Court Judge.
- Every Supreme Court Judge shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal, Supreme Court Judge shall hold office until he attains the age of 65 years: Provided that
- a Judge may resign his office by writing under his hand addressed to the President
- a Judge may be removed from his office in the manner provided in clause (4).
- A person shall qualified for appointment as a Judge of the Supreme Court if he is a citizen of India and has been for at least five years a Judge of a High Court or of two or more such Courts in succession; or has been for at least ten years an advocate of a High Court or of two or more such Courts in succession; or is a distinguished jurist in the opinion of the President.
- Supreme Court Judge shall be removed from his office by an order of the President passed after an address by each House of Parliament supported by a majority of the total membership of that House and by a majority of not less than two thirds of the members of that House present and voting has been presented to the President in the same session for such removal on the ground of proved misbehavior or incapacity.
- Parliament may by law regulate the procedure and the investigation, proof of the misbehavior or incapacity of a Judge under clause (4).
- Every person appointed to be a Supreme Court Judge shall, before he enters upon his office, take an oath or affirmation according to the Third Schedule.
- No person who has held office as Supreme Court Judge shall plead or act in any court or before any authority within the territory of India.