12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List: Jyotirlinga is a holy shine dedicated to worship Lord Shiva. A Jyotirlinga or Jyotirlingam is a representation of the Hindu God Shiva. Jyotirlinga is a Sanskrit word which means "Radiance" or "shining". The Shiva Purana mentions as many as 64 Jyotirlingas. Out of these 12 are called Mahajyotirlingam or the Great Jyotirlingas.
These 12 Jyotirlingas temples are profound places of holiness with beautiful aspects and peaceful environs. One can head to these temples at any time of the year but during the time of festivals, especially Maha-Shivaratri, these temples become absolutely sensational. 12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List is given below.
12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List
12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List is given below with their location.
|S.NO||Names of Jyotirlinga||Location||State|
|1||Shree Somnath Jyotirlinga||Veraval (Somnath)||Gujarat|
|2||Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga||Srisailam||Andhra Pradesh|
|3||Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga||Jaisinghpura, Ujjain||Madhya Pradesh|
|4||Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga||Khandwa||Madhya Pradesh|
|5||Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga||Shivganga Muhalla, Dardmara||Jharkhand|
|6||Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga||Bhimashankar, Pune||Maharashtra|
|7||Rameshwaram Jyotirlinga||Rameswaram||Tamil Nadu|
|8||Nageshwar Jyotirlinga||Daarukavanam, Devbhumi Dwarika||Gujarat|
|9||Vishwanath Jyotirlinga||Lahori Tola, Varanasi||Uttar Pradesh|
|10||Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga||Shrimant Peshwe Path, Trimbak||Maharashtra|
|11||Kedarnath Temple||Kedarnath, Rudraprayag||Uttarakhand|
|12||Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga||Aurangabad, Maharashtra||Maharashtra|
Detailed List of 12 Jyotirlinga in India
Jyotirlinga with all details is listed below.
- Somnath: It is traditionally considered to be the first pilgrimage site. It marks the beginning of the Dwadash Jyotirlinga pilgrimage. This temple is said to have been destroyed 16 times and rebuilt as well.
- Mallikarjuna: This is also called as Srisaila and is located on the mountain in Kurnool district of Rayalaseema. The temple is architecturally rich and consists of various sculptures.
- Mahakaleshwar: Ujjain is known for its Shiv temple across the globe. This Lingam is believed to be Swayambhu out of the 12 Maha Jyotirlingas. It is also the only one facing the South and has Shri Rudra Yantra placed upside down at the ceiling of the Garbhagriha.
- Omkareshwar: It is situated in Madhya Pradesh as well. It is on an island in the Narmada river and is a home to Jyotirlinga shrine at the Mahala temple.
- Kedarnath: Kedarnath is known to be the closest Jyotirlinga to Shiva's actual home in Kailash mountain. This temple also forms a part of the famous Char Dham yatra of the Hindus. This location is accessible for only one time in every six months. It is also one of the Paadal Petra Sthalam of Vada Naadu mentioned in Thevaaram.
- Bhimashankar: It is situated in Khed Taluka of Daakini country. This is why this place was called the Daakini temple too.
- Vishweshwara: This Jyotirlinga is situated in Kashi, Varanasi. UP is said to be the home to Vishwanath Jyotirlinga shrine. It is also one of the Padal petra stalam of Vada Naadu that has been mentioned in Thevaaram.
- Trayambakeshwar: This Jyotirlinga is situated on the banks of the river Godavari and the legend says that this temple marks the origin of the river as well.
- Nageshwara: This temple is situated in Gujarat, near Jamnagar and is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas mentioned in the Shiv Purana. It is known as the Dvādaśa Jyotirliṅga Stotram.
- Baidyanath: It is considered to be one of the most sacred abodes of the Lord Shiva. It is located in Deoghar in Santhal Parganas division of the state of Jharkhand. This is popularly called Baba Baidyanath where the Jyotirlinga is installed. There are also 21 other temples in this region. As per the Hindu legends, Ravana worshipped Shiva here to gain the boon of 10 heads.
- Rameshwaram: It is in Tamil Nadu and is the southernmost Jyotirlinga in India. It enshrines the Rameśvara-"Lord Rama '' pillar.
- Grishneshwar: This temple is referred to as Ghushmeshwar temple in the Shiv Purana. It is one of the shrines of Shiv mentioned in the Shiv Purana.
12 Jyotirlinga List with Map and Location
Check 12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List on Map of India.
12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List PDF
Download 12 Jyotirlinga Name and Place List pdf from below link.
4 Dham Name and Place List in Hindi
- बद्रीनाथ (उत्तराखंड)
- द्वारका (गुजरात)
- जगन्नाथ पुरी (उड़ीसा)
- रामेश्वरम (तमिलनाडू )